Thursday 28 January 2021

Stitch A Day

 

Stitch A Day

With the lockdowns and need to really get back into embroidery again on a daily basis I thought it was a a great way of making a project that lasted all year with keeping 'Christmas in my Heart', which I am combining with my Christmas Blog. While I am stitching for the day I am working out the next step of the Christmas Project and challenge. Link below.

Year of Stitches

A Project this year set up by Sara from BrownPaperStirch

Stitch A Day is a project originally created by artist Hannah Claire Somerville.

"1 Year of Stitches. The first stitches have been made....... I am interested in the impact of marks that an individual makes on a daily basis. Big or small, our daily activities are often time unquantifiable and intangible.

I am approaching this project as a personal map making, the fabric ground represents each day of 2016. With a needle and thread representing my actions throughout the day. I will embroider maybe one or more stitches (hopefully) everyday and photograph the result. The embroidery what I create will become a tangible, visual, conversational account of the decisions, movements, and sometimes lack there of, that make each day. I hope to use this project as a means of creating mindfulness and deeper reflection upon the choices we make as a society."

Rules and Stipulations

1. My fabric ground consists of 12"x12" swatch of unbleached Onsaburg. The thread I use may change daily and I may adhere additional types of media to my swatch with thread.

2. I will embroider something on my fabric ground and post a photograph of the result each day.

Things to consider,

*Plan idea of Embroidery or organic?

*Chose one stitch to repeat or learn different ones.

*Colour choice.

*Types of thread or threads.

Equipment (mine above)

Fabric, plain colour, medium weight so it doesn't need a foundation fabric.

Needles 

Scissors

Threads

Pencil or marking pen

Hoop 

Project bag or container to keep everything together.

Here is the first seven days of the project.


Day 1 

Planned the project, 
You don't have to have a finished project, you can be random and fill a piece of fabric as a mindfulness piece.
Mine a  Christmas project, a Christmas Bauble Cushion, full of the embroidered stitches. The finished embroidery to be appliquéd onto to a foundation fabric to make a cushion to treasure.
I collected all the equipment items together.

Day 2
 Drew a circle the size of the Bauble and large enough to last the year. Drew two lines in the centre far enough apart to make a design in the middle.
Drew a wavy line down the centre of the two lines. Couched this line.

Day 3 Chained stitched one side of this wavy line.

Day 4 Chain stitched the other side of the wavy line.

Day 5 Couched thread down one of the centre band lines

Day 6 Chain stitched on the outside of the couched line.

Day 7 Chain stitched the other side of the couched line.


These are some of the items I use and can recommend by clicking and shopping on Amazon the studio has a small donation at no cost to yourself, Thank You.


 








Link to Christmas2Inspire HERE

Instagram old_art_room HERE

Become a Patreon and have updates on the  free patterns and invites to Artstudiodaily HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment